De-escalating Potentially Violent Situations – For those who work in an environment where there is potential for violence, it is important to develop the skills needed to defuse dangerous situations. This Training is designed to teach people to de-escalate potentially violent situations through assertiveness and interpersonal communication. The training will explore how anger and violence interplay, including opportunities for self-assessment of personal communication styles. Participants will develop a clear understanding of how to assess the potential for violence and respond with a diverse set of interpersonal tools and strategies designed to defuse potentially violent situations.
Mental Health First Aid – The Mental Health Commission of Canada reports that one in every five Canadians experiences a mental health problem within a given year. While we often know a lot about physical illness, there tends to be less knowledge about mental health or substance use problems. This lack of understanding leads to fear and negative attitudes towards individuals living with these problems. It prevents people from seeking help for themselves and from providing appropriate support to people around them. Course participants will learn how to:
- Recognize signs that a person may be experiencing a decline in their mental well-being or a mental health crisis.
- Have conversations that encourage a person to (i) Talk about declines in their mental well-being, (ii) Discuss professional and other supports that could help with recovery to improved mental well-being, (iii) Reach out to these support.
- Assist in a mental health or substance use crisis.
- Use MHFA actions to maintain one’s own mental well-being.
Mindfulness Coaching – “Mindfulness is about being fully awake in our lives. Mindfulness mediation is not for the faint-hearted, it is for individuals interested in the adventure and challenges of self-exploration and transformation … ” (Jon Kabat-Zinn). Course participants will learn how to:
- Increase attention, awareness, and resilience in your personal and collective work.
- Learn coping skills and emotional regulation which reduces stress and anxiety.
- Develop strategies to deal with difficult situations.
- Increase connection with others and reduce feelings of isolation.
Standard First Aid & CPR – A comprehensive course offering first aid and CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) skills for those who need training due to work requirements or who want more knowledge to respond to emergencies at home. Includes the latest first aid and CPR guidelines and meets a variety of provincial/territorial regulations for Standard First Aid and CPR. Exceeds standards of similar courses on the market by including injury prevention content, CPR, and AED (automated external defibrillation).